Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oh....Absentminded me.....

Along with my husband, I visited a good friend. When taking leave of them, they gifted me with a lovely handbag. I had the wonderful opportunity to use it that very day. All set in the evening for shopping and to have dinner outside, I kept some cash in a purse and asked my daughter to place it in the handbag I had received from my friend. Shopping luckily was done with credit card that my husband had with him.
As we were entering the restaurant, some intuition prompted me to check my new handbag. And my intuition proved right….there was just Rs.10/- and my keys in the bag. No amount of checking helped. I kept asking my daughter why she did not take the purse that I had given her and she insisted that I had not asked her to take. Well my husband’s wallet did hold some cash and the restaurant did accept credit card. So without being embarrassed we walked out of the restaurant.
As we were walking to our two-wheeler, I was remembered of another incident that took place 18 years before.
Newly married, my husband took me to Guruvayoor temple. The temple rules insist on men not to wear pants or shirt. Only dhoti and mundu allowed. So my husband gave me his wallet and asked me to keep the same in my handbag. So sweet of me, I did so and followed another instruction that my husband did not give me. I placed my handbag in the car and free hand had a wonderful dharshan of Lord Guruvayoor. My husband asked me for cash to put in the hundial………oh god I said……..it is in the car.
While returning to our car, we met one of our relations who insisted that we have some lunch. This relative was well known for his miserliness. Try much my husband could not avoid. Anyway he said…we have your watch and my watch, if need be. We restricted to eating bare minimum while our host went in full swing. Time to pay…..not having a penny, my husband volunteered to pay the bill. Being newly married has its own benefits. So our host said it does not deem fit for us newly weds to pay and he would only make the payment. Not a person to leave it at that usually, my husband immediately agreed and heaved a sigh of relief.
Two incidents are more than enough for me to ensure I have my wallet filled with cash when I take you out, so said my husband as we returned home.

5 comments:

KParthasarathi said...

Amusing but forgetfulness can land us in embarassing situations as the story revealed.Nice post.

Shravan RN said...

Funny :)

Manivannan Sadasivam said...

That's really amusing. Very well written. It's absorbing!

Rugma said...

good experience because it did teach you something nice for the people around u!!!!
tc....

A New Beginning said...

Gr8 one !its a very regular feature with people and causes quite a bit of adventure.Nice post!All the best!