Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Why is it so difficult to decide?

Many a times have I pondered over this. Human beings tend to look for an answer that satisfies them. They are not ready to accept answers randomly. In a way right, but there are times when only confusion sets in their mind. Strange are our ways of decision making.

My son developed rashes in his body and I took him to the doctor who diagnosed the same as chicken pox. So I asked him the instructions that I should follow at home. I put forth this question to the doctor, "Is it ok for my son to have a bath?" The doctor immediately said no, that having a bath is one of the reason for the chicken pox to spread all over the body. Well, he being a doctor, I gave in at that moment and returned home. But the curiosity got the better of me and I typed out the word Chicken Pox in the google. Well as I expected, in the instructions given there, it said, it was ok for the infected child to have a bath. Just that no soap to be used. And the child must be patted dry and not rubbed all over. One question, two answers. Left me in confusion as to whether I should follow the doctor’s advice or the information I got in the net. But finally decided to adhere to what the doctor said and am waiting for the 7th day to give a proper bath to my son. The reason to choose this option actually was different. The fear of causing harm or aggravating the chicken pox in him made me feel I should accept the doctor’s advice. And that is exactly what I did. It sort of explained the reason for me not to go ahead and give my son a bath, and yet not let my fear out in the open.

Another instance is regarding astrologers. Agreed, each has his/her own way of predicting things. But, just one horoscope and so many predictions!!!
When my sister attained marriageable age, my mother showed her horoscope to few astrologers. Each astrologer had his predictions. One said my sister had Chevvai Dosham, so some parikarams to be done. My mother went about doing what he said, in the hopes that my sister would get married. But no, nothing happened. Another astrologer said it is just a matter of time, my sister would get married and her horoscope is such she would bring wealth and happiness in her in laws home. Another astrologer said according to my sister’s horoscope, she would be a second wife only. Another said, my sister would have a late marriage. One astrologer said she would get married, but her married life would be short. She would lose her husband soon. And yet another saw her horoscope and just pushed it aside. When asked, he said, according to the horoscope, the girl will never get married. But still my mother continued her mission of trying to find a suitable prospective groom for my sister. By then my sister had decided she would stay single and devote her time to serve the needy and that is exactly what she is doing now. So here we have just one horoscope and so many predictions, with regard to the same topic.

These are just two very simple incidents that I have mentioned. But this is exactly how many of us delegate the decisions that we have to make. Strange is the way human beings think. We search for an answer, an answer that would be most suitable for us. We don’t have an answer framed in the mind and heart. But there are some titbits here and there. With these titbits matching a solution from an external source, we arrive at a conclusion. Thereby, we keep ourselves in the clear. If the solution we get is acceptable, then we accept it as our brainwave, otherwise we search for a source to shift the blame.
Let us learn to face life our own way rather than depend on others for the way our life takes its shape

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward." - Robyn Davidson

1 comment:

KParthasarathi said...

This is yet another excellent post that I had missed.Before I forget let me ask you one thing.Why have you discontinued writing on subjects like these and confined yourself to writing poems.Please restart writing such pieces besides poems.
Coming to the subject of the post, it is well known that there are as many considered opinions on every subject as there are number of men and women.Even on a major surgery there were different voices that left me clueless and I left it to the treating doctor.
While we can leave the decision to experts in the so called 'sciences'like medicine, we should ourselves finally decide what is good in matters concerning occult sciences.
I liked the two senstences in your post
".....how many of us delegate the decisions that we have to make. Strange is the way human beings think. We search for an answer, an answer that would be most suitable for us."
Your post is very intersting and ably said.Lucky that I could see

July 13, 2009 10:17 AM