Monday, June 27, 2011

At the road crossing

My nephew and I were returning home from shopping. We had to take a right turn. Ahead of us were a few more two wheelers. Checking both sides, we noticed a bus standing on the right side waiting for passengers to alight.. Seeing no vehicles moving on either side we decided to take the right turn. The bus driver was seeing the vehicles take the turn. But hasty that he was he did not want to stop for more time. When it was my turn to take the right turn I slowed down a bit to at the turning. I came half way through crossing the bus, when he hit my bike and my bike slid down. Luckily neither my nephew nor I was hurt, a little shaken though. As I lifted my bike I turned to the driver who fortunately stopped the bus. And he had the nerve to shift the blame all on to me. Initially I remained silent. But as he made it look like all was my fault, I retorted back.

Why did I not go fast – that was his question? While turning one usually slows down the vehicle which is what I was doing I replied. But he was not keen in accepting it and blah blah he went on.

Oh please I said, the fault is yours to keep moving the vehicle when you have seen us pass through to the right. Just please stop speaking and do not make it look like it is my fault I yelled at the driver and left in a huff.

It took me back to another incident in Delhi. My sister in law and I were returning home and just that time the driver of a mini truck behind us stopped his vehicle on the right side of the road near the road divider but decided to go straight though the signal given was red for him. And hit he did our vehicle. Wanting to support myself from falling, I used my right hand as a balance. Well my little finger and the ring finger are yet to be relieved of the pain, even though one month has already passed.

It probably is not much to bother about I suppose. But the attitude of the drivers and the way they drive the vehicles…surely makes me wonder - is there no chance of some brightness seen in the way we discipline ourselves on roads.

13 comments:

KParthasarathi said...

There are always bad apples in any basket.We will hv not only to adhere to the rules of the road but also be on the alert in our own interest that others too follow.One has to be particularly careful with buses ,three wheelers and trucks.

Here in US all drivers give priority to pedestrians and stop the vehicles till they move.But imagine doing this in Usman road, you would never be able to start a vehicle.Is this because the population is dense and the roads are choked with vehicles?Only 7% of the land is for roads and that is grossly inadequate with burgeoning two wheelers and cars.

Renu said...

I think this problem is caused by population and scarcity of roads, even in US I have seen in NJ that people get impatient and discard the rules.

deeps said...

there you go again...
first the chain, now this...

looks like you are getting ideas to blog post from wrong incidents these days :P

arvind said...

ho..

they are always thinking that -
they are driving a PLANE! and so nvr looking down!!!

what as escape..

arvind said...

ho..

they are always thinking that -
they are driving a PLANE! and so nvr looking down!!!

what as escape..

dr.antony said...

There is no worse combination than arrogance and ignorance.
We have an absolute lack of civic sense.

deeps said...

ding dong..

Hopeful Indian said...

Glad u n ur nephew were not hurt. A little patience is too much to expect in our road users. As for corrupt govts and administrators, they have all the time to let them loot the city, state and country!

Anonymous said...

Glad that u and ur nephew are not hurt. Be more careful next time and dont expect any courtesy from the bus and lorry drivers. They rule the roads...

arvind said...

why so long absent..

Kala said...

I think everybody has got their own experiences I used to commute in bus daily..once unfortunately I got down for a water bottle by the time I returned the bus is moving left my bag in the bus so I got in to it anyways from front door as back door was filled with men,then soon conductor yelled at me that was the worst day I felt very baddd.... I don' T know why these drivers n conductors are very harsh towards peopleee

Unknown said...

your blog is beautiful :)

Visit: fantasist.blogspot.com/

deeps said...

happy Easter!!